Job Title: Gallery Assistant
Deadline: August 22nd, 2022
The Gallery Assistant is responsible for supporting a variety of tasks in the gallery. This position is responsible for greeting visitors, ensuring a safe environment for visitors and the artwork on exhibit and in storage. You will be asked to assist with research and writing, and you are required to familiarize yourself with works in the inventory and new works coming into the gallery. You will be asked to do cold-calling, and solicit press coverage for events and exhibition, and you will become the main person for media relations. Responsibilities for this position will vary based on experience and skill and will become more engaging as you become more familiar with the collection, our clients, artists, and operation. This position will require some flexibility in your schedule, including working occasional evenings for events or openings. The position will start at 20 hours per week, working into a more full-time position if the successful candidate is a good fit.
- Implement media relations tasks, such as soliciting press coverage for events, submitting event listings to print and online media, preparing and distributing press releases.
- Assist in planning and implementing print and online advertising activities.
- Assist in research and writing
- Maintain and update the website
- Taking and editing photos of artworks and exhibitions
- Unpacking and packing of artwork
- Returning basic email inquiries
- Assist with all aspects of exhibition de-installation and installation
- Assist in intake of new artwork and maintain proper tracking and storage of inventory
- Assist in maintaining the cleanliness of the gallery space
- Assist in openings, including basic food prepping and cleaning
- Arming/unarming gallery upon opening and closing
Qualifications and Skills:
- Outgoing, personable and with good work ethics, able to make good connections and judgements
- Detail oriented and be able organize, plan, and schedule, able to prioritize tasks
- Previous media relations experience, or an equivalent marketing experience, or have pre-existing relationship with media is required
- Be able to do cold calling
- Post-secondary education, or demonstrate experience in art administration, museum or cultural studies, or a related field is required
- Ability to follow instructions and learn quickly is required
- Physically capable of manual labour as part of gallery installation, including moving artwork, hanging, packing, and ability to lift 30 lbs is required
- Previous experience in a professional art setting is an asset
- Have strong interest in art, especially contemporary art is required
- Excellent written and spoken English language skills; have strong interest in writing, ability to write concisely and informatively
- Ability to work both independently with minimal instructions and collaboratively in a team environment
- Type quickly and accurately, and able to take dictation
- Confident in troubleshooting
- Proficient in MS Office: Word, Excel, Outlook
- Knowledge in WordPress is a strong asset
- Knowledge in Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, and Premiere is a strong asset
- Previous art handling experience is an asset
- Have a Class 5 Driver’s license and personal vehicle is an asset
- Have basic food prep experience
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume and cover letter as PDF files to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line ‘Gallery Assistant Application – Last Name, First Name’, please be prepared to submit references.
The position will start at 20 hours per week, working into a more full-time position if the successful candidate is a good fit. Wages begin at $20/ hour and will increase based on performance.